So you are giving in to your wanderlust with a trip to Leh Ladakh? Nothing can be better. Whether you are a solo woman traveller looking for some peace and quiet or someone wanting to soak in the picturesque sights with other women friends for company, Leh Ladakh sure makes for one memorable trip. Leh Ladakh is as much a destination for women adventure enthusiasts as it is for foodies. The place will simply never disappoint you! Here is a handy checklist of things that you should carry so that you can savour the trip to the fullest.
Attitude, Attitude, Attitude
The first thing to carry of course is a great attitude! Be fully prepared to soak in the sights and the sounds of the place. The ability to unwind, de-stress and simply relax, will come in handy! While pre planning is of essence, while on the trip be prepared not to have everything go exactly as per your plan. Instead as they say, go with the flow! Clearly the thumb rule is to have oodles of fun!
Absolute Must Haves
Here is a list of must haves that you just cannot afford to forget:
- A valid photo identification card
- Enough Money especially as ATMs are very few and far between. In fact if you are taking a road trip via Manali, the last ATM is in Manali!
- Itinerary Print Out with emergency contact numbers
- Emergency food and water if you are out trekking
While you need to travel light, it cannot be at the expense of layered clothing, depending on the season when you are visiting of course. Leh Ladakh has a lot of play of light and shade; you could be feeling absolutely warm one moment and then as you step into shade, you could feel the need for an added layer of clothing. Also layered clothing works well as you are gaining altitude to keep yourself warm. Here are some absolute essentials:
- Full sleeves T-shirts/Sweatshirts
- Quick dry trekking lowers
- Gloves and Cap.
- Woolen Socks
- Comfortable shoes. In fact sturdy hiking boots will come in handy
While your make up kit can take a well-deserved break as you pamper your adventurous side, here is a list of must have toiletries:
- Hand Sanitizer
- Face Wash
- High SPF (40+) Sun Block Cream as the sun can be scorching
- Soap and Shampoo
- Moisturizer/Cold Cream/Lip Balm
- Contact Lens solution if you intend to wear contacts else glasses are a handy option
- Tissues/ Hand Towel/ Toilet Roll
It is best to be equipped with any prescription medicines that you may be taking. It is also prudent to carry a stock of medicines for any pains, aches and allergies. Here is a checklist:
- Medicines for motion sickness as prescribed by your doctor
- Altitude sickness medication as recommended
- A small oxygen cylinder in case the high altitude renders you uneasy.
- Cough and cold medication
- Medication for diarrhea
- Dettol, band aid, bandage and cotton
- Antiseptic skin cream
Miscellaneous but ever so necessary items
If you are a book lover who cannot sleep without turning a few pages or someone whose feet just have to be kept warm, there is no forgetting this list:
- Foot warmers
- A gripping book
- An Umbrella
- A great camera for all those photo ops
- Mobile Phone with extra batteries
- Flash Light
- Camping gear if you have camping on your mind
Pack all these essentials in a sturdy bag. It will be helpful to have a small backpack for daily travel.
It will help you to know that Leh Ladakh features among safe destinations for solo women travellers so there is all the more reason to visit it and knock it off your bucket list. Remaining light-hearted and carrying your easy going attitude will take you places….well literally! Bon Voyage!