About The Listing
Type of Trip : Road Trips
Level : Easy
Location : Bhutan
Duration : 10 Days 9 Nights
Trip Start : NJP/Bagdogra
Trip End : NJP/Bagdogra
Ring this new year at the most beautiful spot on the planet,
A lot of Math or logic or countless debates would have gone to move from the traditional way of assessing a country’s economic situation to “Gross National Happiness”. Yeah, Bhutan, a tiny country nestled between the mighty Himalayas on this large planet truly believes in its national vision to maintain balance between its spiritual and material world by its Gross National Happiness. Just about everything in Bhutan echoes stories, right from its transformation from monarchy to present times, the no street light capital to mesmerising hills, the famous Tiger's Nest, to numerous valleys with breathtaking vistas, the dzongs to endless landscapes that look straight out of an artist’s canvas.
If travel has to be rich, authentic and memorable for a lifetime, we at WeNomads unanimously echoed BHUTAN !! Lets embark on this highland called “ Bhu- utthan “ (traditional name of Bhutan) we call slice of heaven , with our signature expedition.
- New Year celebration - at the most beautiful spot on the planet
- Handcrafted Itinerary - Many countless hours, debates and yes our team’s enthusiasm and experience has gone into making this expedition a Lore (Story), we have ensured that we not only show you Bhutan, but also tell you everything about it. And while we have to resort to adjectives like ‘mesmerizing’ , ‘enchanting’ for our trip design as indeed Bhutan is much more than that, We delve deep into the culture and geography of this Land of Thunder Dragon, . A lot to experience, a lot to see, a lot to enjoy, a lot to learn but most importantly, its not a “tick the places “ kind of trip. While Bhutanese culture will weave the stories you shall narrate to your grandkids (yeah truly;) the photographer in you won't stop clicking the geographical magic that this country offers. Each place, each stay has been relooked, rethought and carefully chosen to leave an everlasting memory.
- Chief Experience Officer (CXO) - Our CXO’s are veteran travellers and distinguished individuals possessing the skills, experience and the depth of knowledge necessary to provide the best travelling experience to our guests. Not to be mistaken with a tour guide, the CXO’s perspective about travelling and managing the trip makes it a wholesome experience as he / she juggles between several roles of a storyteller, friend, mentor, the captain who manages and ensures that timings and deadlines can be followed, the chilled out traveller who focuses on soaking in the moment too! In Kavya, our CXO for this trip, we have a culture enthusiast, curator at the famed National Museum, certified scuba diver, social media writer, theatre artist, photographer and countless other talents. But what we see in her is a true wanderer and a storyteller. Thoroughly experienced in travelling, she has a keen eye on cultural sensibility in small things of living, which not many can replicate. It’s really exciting how she sees the unseen and makes it so amazing for everyone to soak. We are sure that you will be hooked, and it is going to be great fun travelling with such an amazing young group leader, as she keeps bringing aces from her pocket to make the whole experience like never before.
Day 01: NJP Station / Bagdogra (IXB) Airport - Phuensholing
Destination: Phuensholing (167 KM)
It shall be a float through a warm day full of greenery, ‘ more than eye can see’ as we enter the Border town of Bhutan ! The fun begins as we make our first steps to the vehicle carrying us to our destination. Armed with our CXO’s anecdotes, experiences, we pass through the mighty Teesta, in all likelihood, the river shall be pleasant post its monsoon fury. We make pitstops for pictures in endless looking tea garden, infact the whole way is almost so green with excellent roads that you will wish you stop every two kms to soak the misty fragrance of the lush gardens. Post a totally local made highway lunch of Thukpa, momos, local spiced fish (must have) etc, we shall finally make way to Phuentsholing, the entry point to Bhutan . Indians don't need permit for Bhutan, the same is obtained on arrival. A leisurely walk to local market is planned by our CXO post which we shall sit for a perfect evening dinner in which we give a “journey briefing “ to prep up for the days ahead into the picturesque ‘ ‘Land of Dragons’.
Day 02: Phuentsholing - Paro
Destination: Paro (160 KM)
Post breakfast we start our drive to Paro , enroute we make a quick tour of the ‘Kharbandi Gompa’ . It is believed buddhism in Bhutan began from here. The beautiful Gompa in the scenic town of Phuentsholing offers breathtaking views of the town flanked by border town of West Bengal in India. It also houses the paintings of the life and times of Buddha. As we drive towards Paro valley, we quickly realize that Bhutan is not just about landscapes, its beauty lies in its locally made homes , the streets, environment all of which start making you real “happy” . Paro is Bhutan’s most beautiful valleys and culturally rich at that. Hundreds of lores and myths , ancient temples, monasteries belong to this place as does the glacial Paro river which flows into gorges across the valley.
Day 03: Paro - Chele La - Paro
Highlights: Chele La Pass
The day starts with a drive to Bhutan’s highest motorable pass , the Chele La at around 3900 metres. The upward climb goes through blue pines and rhododendron forests , oh yes and the view Of snow clad Mt. Joholmari (Bhutan’s highest peak) down to Haa, shall make you fall in love with your decision to come to Bhutan all over again. And when we say that we gonna have our lunch picnic style right at such beautiful spot on earth, it does have epic written all over :) . The latter half of the day sees us soaking aun and learning more about the culture and a bit of history of Bhutan as we stroll around National Museum and Paro Dzong (rinpung) which is built atop a steep hillside and also is one of the high points of Bhutanese architecture. Oh yeah, the stories about the Dzong, leave that to our CXO!
Day 04: Paro - Thimphu
Highlights: Tigers Monastery
Destination: Thimphu (51 KM)
Going to Bhutan and not doing the tough yet memorable hike to famed Tigers Monastery (the Tangstey) is like going to Agra and not seeing THE TAJ !! How could we miss this. This shall be an epic day, the view from every few steps is scenic and worth stopping. Our super CXO (Popeye on trek) shall tell you exactly how to take it easy and make it a breezy climb. The final point reaches a waterfall which forms a pool before entering the sacred pilgrim site. No amount of words can describe the moments you shall encounter on this day and its worth the experience. Post the visit, we shall cool heels in our hotel at Thimpu , the capital of Bhutan.
Day 05: Thimphu - Thimphu
Highlights: Thimphu Sightseeing
Imagine a country’s capital with beautiful motifs lining terraces of home, the chillis, and beef drying out in sun, men and women in their national costumes and fineries, that how beautiful Thimpu looks! The city is also known for its weaving and embroidery, there is a whole Textile Museum dedicated to this which also has live demonstrations. Today our CXO shall take you through some awesome experiences from the Chorten Memorial to Takin preserve to National Post office which stocks collectible 3-D stamps and much more in between packing an authentic local lunch consisting of Emma Datshi - a chilli cheese dish as we understand the importance of chilli culture in Thimpu. However, what shall steal the show is when we put our hair down at one of Thimpu famous karoke bars at dusk. The bars at Thimpu have a warm vibe and play all sorts of music from western rock to pop to Bollywood and what not. We dance till we drop, sing our heart out before embarking on leg 2 of our journey.
Day 06: Thimpu - Punakha
Highlights: Goemba, Dochu La, Chimi Lakhang
Destination: Punakha (86 KM)
Punakha was the old capital of Bhutan till 1960’s and it still retains its old vibes. The day starts with a drive to Punakha, the first stop shall be the Goemba, its so serene to see rows of low desks with Monks reading , writing, prayer flags aflutter as statues of Buddha and its miniatures dot the monastery. About an hour from this lies the Dochu La, picture 108 stupas (chortens) lined across the Pass, its dreamy as clouds play hide and seek and few Himalayan peaks also play peek a boo at Dochu La. Later we reach high point of the day when we visit the famed ‘ Chimi Lakhang’ popularly called the Divine Madman, there are stories aplenty about this place ( we should not dole out everything here; ) Also strange is the village with its unique culture. Story of Chimi Lakhang shall stay with you long enough to narrate to your grandkids !! The evening is spent at the citys biggest Dzong before we call it a day.
Day 07: Punakha - Phobjika
Destination: Phobjika (75 KM)
Today we shall drive to Phobjika. Have you experienced a moment where you wish time would freeze and you forever capture that moment, the Phobjika or the Gantey Valley is as picturesque as it can get. In winter months when we would be heading, the grasslands are dotted by Black necked cranes who fly all the way from Tibet , the lush valley is lined with lilacs, bluish green hills, wild flowers, monastery and postcard perfect villages. Our CXO can also double as a birder and you can appreciate some scientific names of resident and migrant birds of the valley. Phobjika shall turn you into a poet when you return back. Our night halt is a beautiful home stay post ambling around the villages soaking the culture.
Day 08: Phobjika - Thimpu
We get up early today to see the sun’ s first rays touch Phobjika and go for an early morning walk, we have also arranged for bicycles. Picture yourself cycling through nicely paved roads to smell of pines and chirping birds, to cloud covered hills to horses grazing shrubs to rising sun playing a peek a boo amidst all this . Heavenly isnt it while we capture such beautiful nuggets on a Go Pro. Post breakfast we soak all of what the Phobjika / Gangtey valley has to offer. First being the Gangtey Goemba, this place commands the best position atop a forested hill overlooking the entire valley. The monastery also houses remains of the sixth Gangtey Guru. There are stories aplenty which even monks share here how on his death, the body shrank to size of baby and then further to a peanut.
A village trail then leads us to Khewa Lakhang, where you can understand the two storeys of structure where statuses of Buddha in past, present and future exists, there a cutesy workshop behind making nice incense sticks and one can watch them go about their chores peacefully.
A short drive takes you to Trongsa, this is one of Bhutan’s most historic towns built around 1543, we shall take a leisurely walk in the old town and its markets . Also the Trongsa Dzong is worth mentioning, its majestic and Bhutanese particularly proud of this one, post a day of such amazing experiences we head back to Thimpu our cosy stay.
Day 09: Thimpu - Phuensholing
After breakfast, start towards Thimpu. On arrival check in at the hotel. Overnight stay will be at the hotel.
Day 10: Phuensholing - NJP Station / Bagdogra (IXB) Airport
Destination: NJP Station / Bagdogra (IXB) Airport
After breakfast, leave for NJP. The trip ends here.
- Chief Experience Officer
- Accommodation on twin sharing basis
- To & fro transfers along with assistance at arrival
- Meal Plan - Breakfast and Dinner
- All sightseeing as per itinerary
- Bhutan permits
- Any airfare & train ticket.
- Travel / medical insurance.
- Any kind of personal expenses or optional tour.
- Cost arising out of unseen circumstances.
- Any other item not specified.
Terms & Conditions
Rs.15,000/- to be paid at the time of booking.
Remaining amount to be paid, 30 days prior to trip start date. Failing so trip will be considered cancelled and cancellation charges will be applicable as per policy.
No retention charges if cancelled more than 30 days prior to trip start date.
Cancellation 16 - 29 days prior to trip start date 75% return.
Cancellation less than or equal to 15 days prior to trip start date no return.
Tips, Hints, Precautions
Please go through these informative Bhutan blog:
- Traveller Photograph
- Traveller ID proof
- Why WeNomads!!
- 100% Cancellation Refund
- 24x7 Personalized Support
- Guaranteed Best Price
- and 10 other reasons…